Advantages of pelton wheel turbine
There are many advantages of using this turbine over other which are following
- Pelton wheel turbine is an impulse turbine
- It operates on high head and low discharge.
- It has tangential flow which means that it can have either axial flow or radial flow.
- Pelton wheel turbine is very easy to assemble.
- There is no cavitation because water jet strikes only a specific portion of the runner.
- It has fewer parts as compared to francis turbine which has both fixed vanes and guided vanes.
- Its overall efficiency is high.
- On pelton wheel turbine, both first law and second law of motion is applied.
- In this turbine, whole process of water jet striking and leaving to the runner takes place at atmospheric pressure.
Designing is very important in field. So to design the runner of pelton wheel turbine, some parameters are necessary which are following
- Bucket width should be 5 times jet diameter
- Bucket depth should be 1.2 times jet diameter
- Number of buckets on a runner should be 15 + 0.5*jet ratio where jet ratio is the ratio of runner diameter to jet diameter
- Inlet velocity of the jet must be where CV is the co-efficient of velocity and its value of CV must be 0.98 and H is the net head.
- Velocity of the runner must be where Ku is the speed ratio and its value is 0.43 to 0.48.